Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Surfing for God review

Surfing for God provided the insight into the battle of temptation. It gave a safe place to openly, and yet in good taste, talk about the “How’s” and “Whys” behind sexual struggle. There is no condemnation. There is no shame. Mike’s stories, both personal and clinical, provide huge doses of grace and research, along with Scriptural truth matched with current cultural conditions. The topics included do not hide nor overexpose the realities of this war. Instead, with human frailty and authenticity, Mike gives an honest account of his own struggles, along with numerous years of his own counseling to those who once shared the struggle he overcame. I selected this specific title because I am a youth pastor who continually meets youth who are struggling to break free from these destructive and addictive behaviors. I feel as if through the pages of “Surfing for God” I was given tremendous amounts of insight and understanding. I feel better equipped to steer my students through the mazes of temptation instead of just saying “don’t go there.” I highly recommend this book for those who need understanding. I 100% recommend it for anyone who has struggled. Mike does such an amazing job with the content and has a relatable, vulnerable, and open voice. He gave us a gift when he shared his story. Dive into this gift today.

No comments:

Post a Comment